Nxdomain redirect revenue

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 14:36:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2011 1:29 AM, "Florian Weimer" <fweimer at bfk.de> wrote:
>>
>> * Cameron Byrne:
>>
>> > It is very important to ask the redirect partners about yields...
> meaning,
>> > you may find that less than 5% of nxdomain redirects can be actually
> served
>> > an ad page because 95%+ of nxd are printer lookups and such that cannot
> be
>> > served an ad page.  Then from that less than 5% pool, the click through
>> > rates are around 1%
>>
>> Is this with strict NXDOMAIN rewriting, or were existing names
>> redirected as well?  (AFAIK, most platforms do the latter, hijacking
>> bfk.de, for example.)
>>

> I have no experience with hijacking real names, which others have noted is
> evil.

I'm curious, is there some belief that the use of hte nxdomain
hijacking/rewriting is actually of use to 'users' ? (I'd seen folk
claim that the revenue was super-nice, and also it's super beneficial
to users...)

I don't happen to believe either of these reasons, cameron's note
about checking for the right set of numbers before signing contracts
seems to indicate that the revenue wasn't there either...

-chris