Strange static route

Joel Maslak jmaslak at antelope.net
Sun Sep 25 13:10:47 UTC 2011

On Sep 25, 2011, at 3:37 AM, Tom Storey <tom at snnap.net> wrote:

> I found I had to do this many years ago on some Cisco routers to get them to
> load balance (per packet) across two links. Adding 0.0.0.0/0 routes across
> both links just resulted in traffic routing across one link. Broke it into
> two /1's per link and it worked perfectly.

Two other reasons for this too:

1) Something won't redistribute 0.0.0.0/0 on the network.  Either because the person doesn't know the command to tell the router to do it, or because the router simply won't redistribute a default route.

2) Could also be failover.  One router might be advertising 0.0.0.0/0 on one end of the network. A different router on a different part of the network might be advertising the two /1's.  The /1's would be used unless they became unreachable.