vyatta for bgp

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Wed Sep 21 17:28:40 UTC 2011

On Sep 12, 2011, at 11:42, Ben Albee wrote:

> Does anybody currently use vyatta as a bgp router for their company? If
> so have you ran into any problems with using that instead of a cisco or
> juniper router?

We're using Vyatta for a handful of fast ethernet links to the internet, with I think about three dozen BGP peers.  (Mix of IPv4 and IPv6; about four full feeds on each protocol, the rest is peering).  It's not as mature or polished as I understand some of the Cisco or Juniper platforms are; but on our small scale it's fine.

We have a decent amount of of Linux expertise in the office (and virtually zero for Juniper/Cisco/...), so having more familiar tools on the routers is nice.

As a small shop it's also convenient that the boxes are cheap (so we can have two hot ones with VRRP etc and cheaply a third cold spare) and that the spare parts etc are the same or similar to the rest of the boxes in the rack.

 - ask

--
http://askask.com/