wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Tue Sep 20 17:01:41 UTC 2011

Hi, Paul.

On Sep 20, 2011, at 11:43, Paul Vixie <vixie at isc.org> wrote:

> Benson Schliesser <bensons at queuefull.net> writes:
>
>> For what it's worth, I agree that ARIN has a pretty good governance
>> structure. (With the exception of NomCom this year, which is shamefully
>> unbalanced.) ...
>
> as the chairman of the 2011 ARIN NomCom, i hope you'll explain further,
> either publically here, or privately, as you prefer.

My understanding is that the NomCom consists of 7 people. Of those, 2 come from the board and 2 come from the AC. Together, those 4 members of the existing establishment choose the remaining 3 NomCom members. In the past, there was at least the appearance of random selection for some of the NomCom members. But in any case, due to its composition, the NomCom has the appearance of a body biased in favor of the existing establishment.

Please correct any misunderstanding that I might have. Otherwise, I encourage an update to the structure of future NomComs.

Cheers,
-Benson