wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Tue Sep 20 04:11:17 UTC 2011

On 09/19/2011 10:40 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> On 9/16/2011 12:58 PM, Leigh Porter wrote:
>>

>> I wonder what would happen if a new ARIN member requested an IPv4
>> block of say a /16 for a new business? Or even a smaller block. I
>> don't know what the current ARIN rules are but RIPE will currently
>> give out six months worth of space. Now, in six months, I don't
>> expect there to be any left anyway, so what will likely be all the v4
>> you ever get.
>>
>> Very soon it'll be nigh on impossible for new entrants to the ISP
>> business to get their own v4 space.
>>

> Isn't that the point?

That's what I'm thinking. :)

I don't plan on requesting any v4 space from ARIN. Just using provider
space for the small v4 traffic needs.

--
Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com @charlesnw on twitter

http://blog.knownelement.com

Building alternative,global scale,secure, cost effective bit moving platform
for tomorrows alternate default free zone.