wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Tue Sep 20 03:05:23 UTC 2011

On 9/19/2011 6:02 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2011, Frank Bulk wrote:
>
>> I should have made myself more clear -- the policy amendment would make
>> clear that multihoming requires only one facilities-based connection and
>> that the other connections could be fulfilled via tunnels.  This may be
>> heresy for some.
>
> That's not multihoming.

Really? Lets try these and see how you do:

1) One IP connection via a T-1. Second IP connection via GRE tunnel
carried on first.

2) One IP connection via a T-1 that doesn't have transit, only peering
with providers B and C. IP connections via two GRE tunnels to providers
B and C.

3) One IP connection via MPLS over T-1. Second IP connection via
different MPLS virtual circuit over the same T-1.

4) One IP connection via Frame Relay over T-1. Second IP connection via
Frame Relay over the same T-1.

5) One IP connection via a T-1. Second IP connection via a different T-1
that is multiplexed on the same DS3.

6) One IP connection via a T-1. Second IP connection via a different T-1
that is on separate physical pairs, but in the same cable bundle.

Matthew Kaufman