wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Sep 19 12:14:25 UTC 2011

On Sep 19, 2011, at 3:34 AM, Randy Bush wrote:

>> All transfer requests which meet the policies get approved and
>> updated in the registry.  ARIN does turn down transfer requests
>> which don't meet policy, and this potential is often understood
>> and covered in proposed sale documents for IP address blocks.
>
> would you be willing to describe what kind and how many requests
> have been denied and for what reasons?  what fraction of reality
> does arin whois represent?

Randy - We try to collect and publish statistics for the majority
of registry operations, and this includes transfer requests.  The
number of transfer requests and number approved are in the monthly
stats: https://www.arin.net/knowledge/statistics/index.html   We
do not have reason codes for denials of registration requests since
in many cases there are are multiple criteria and a failed request
is effectively "did not meet any of the available policy criteria.'

Your second question is harder to answer, since it is quite possible
that a transfer request to a party which doesn't qualify results in
a subsequent request to a party that does. We are, of course, quite
capable of blindly approving all transfer requests, but the community
policy would have to direct us to do so since existing policy directs
us to only approve transfers to parties that have documented need.
One has to presume that this is how the operator community wishes
ARIN to operate or that that they'd establish policies otherwise.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO