wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Mon Sep 19 04:57:47 UTC 2011

On Sep 18, 2011, at 21:20, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2011, at 2:53 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:
>>
>> In John's case (on behalf of ARIN as is befitting his role) he welcomes change as long as it's funneled through the ARIN-managed channels.  In other words, change is welcome as long as it reinforces ARIN's role as facilitator.
>
> ... <a bunch of stuff that encourages people to use ARIN-managed channels> ...

For what it's worth, I agree that ARIN has a pretty good governance structure. (With the exception of NomCom this year, which is shamefully unbalanced.) That hasn't stopped it from becoming an ideological anachronism. Or from becoming interested in self-preservation. It's only natural for such organizations.

And despite this, I do encourage folks here to participate in PPML. It's the only way ARIN will get more perspective. (Though, admittedly it is a bit like banging ones own head against the wall...)

> However, your statement that I only welcome change funneled through
> "ARIN-managed channels" is incorrect, as I have made it quite plain
> on multiple occasions that the structure of the Internet number
> registry system itself is not necessarily a discussion that should
> be held within the existing structure (e.g. RIRs and ICANN), but might
> also be appropriately held external to the existing structure (such as
> by operator forums or the Internet Governance Forum).

Are you suggesting that ARIN policy or procedure might change as a direct result of discussion in e.g. IGF? Or perhaps here on NANOG?

Cheers,
-Benson