wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Sun Sep 18 22:12:05 UTC 2011

Where I live in rural America, I would not be surprised that someone who wanted to start an ISP might only be able to cost-justify one upstream.  When one Internet T-1 is $1,200/month, getting a second T-1 for that price from another provider just to get an AS or PI is definitely cost-prohibitive and may go against their business plan.

Our own company has just one upstream provider (from geographically diverse POPs), our state's telecom coop, and to multi-home solely to meet ARIN's policy doesn't make sense.  Fortunately we were using enough address space to meet the /20 requirement.

Charles, if you wrote a policy that allowed smaller ISPs to obtain a PI without the multihoming requirement if they demonstrated that multihoming was burdensome, I would support it at arin-ppml.

Frank