wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Sat Sep 17 19:20:11 UTC 2011

On 09/17/2011 01:19 PM, John Curran wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2011, at 3:45 PM, Charles N Wyble wrote:
>> 2) Obtain ipv6 space from ARIN (inquired about getting space and ran into some issues. need to speak with my co founder and get details. evidently getting brand new v6 space for a brand new network is fairly difficult. for now may just announce a /48 from he.net. )
> Charles -
>
> Criteria for new IPv6 allocations is here: https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#six51, and includes meeting any of one the following:

Thanks for the link.

>   • Having a previously justified IPv4 ISP allocation from ARIN or one of its predecessor registries, or;

Sure.

>   • Currently being IPv6 Multihomed or immediately becoming IPv6 Multihomed and using an assigned valid global AS number, or;

That is our goal. I have two upstreams who are ready to peer with me
once I obtain an ASN.
>   • By providing a reasonable plan detailing assignments to other organizations or customers for one, two and five year periods, with a minimum of 50 assignments within 5 years.

We submitted a numbering / subnet plan with our application, and stated
we intended to multihome. Essentially we are trying to get both ASN and
IP space at the same time. Bit of a chicken and egg problem perhaps.

Time to secure those letters of authorization and get that ASN. I think
once we have that, the process should move forward pretty rapidly.

> I'm not certain how this is "fairly difficult", but can have someone from the ARIN Registration Services helpdesk contact you to work through your circumstances.  (please contact me directly if that's desired.)

I may take you up on that. Thanks for the offer to assist. I'll read
over the doc you sent and the sections Owen mentioned. I think I just
didn't have enough information on the process. Looks like this will be
very straightforward.