wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Blake Dunlap ikiris at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 17:28:39 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 12:06, Joel jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:

> .
>
> The ARIN community is easily it's own worst enemy.

Not to mention the difficulty of actually getting a provider to let you
announce their PA IP space to other providers if you already are / want
multihoming.

I just got turned down by one of mine just yesterday for that. I'm looking
at having to keep a T1 at my office with one of my existing providers that
is going away due to footprint issues (Windstream will sell connectivity,
but requires the ip space to be localized, even if originated by customer,
so don't move or expand or anything) just to be able to announce their
number space because H.E. and my other providers refuses to do it outright.

I'm fairly fed up with the bunch at this point, and probably going to cancel
most of my current providers once I get my own space just out of spite.

Forcing PA space for multihoming before a minimum threshold is
understandable, but trying to obtain said PA space can be an exercise in
futility, which is amusing in a perverse way, because some of the providers
are the same employeers of people advocating for exactly that design in PPML
et al. Which is especially annoying coming from a provider that happily did
this for customers so its not like I don't understand the issues etc.

-Blake