wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Fri Sep 16 21:37:52 UTC 2011

On 09/16/2011 04:34 PM, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, Randy Carpenter wrote:
>

> If you go to ARIN, day one, and ask for address space, they have no
> way of determining if your request is justified, beyond whatever
> pie-in-the-sky guesses and growth projections you give them.  You're
> asking for address space, sight unseen, in this case.  That would be
> like someone going to a bank and asking for a loan, with no
> documentation, collateral, or anything else to give the bank
> confidence that they'll pay the loan back.
>
> That's why the slow-start model has been used, particularly for v4 space.
> If you started off by getting PA space from one or more of your
> upstreams, then there should be additional documentation to back up
> your request (SWIP entries, RWHOIS data, etc).
>
> When I still worked in the ISP world, the startup I worked for started
> off with PA space, and then grew into PI space, and handed the PA
> space back to their upstreams as it was vacated.  I had no problems
> getting subsequent
> PI blocks because our documentation was in order.

Alright. This seems fair.

Easy enough to get some big chunks of v6 space from up streams and then
justify the PI space.

I shall have to do that then.

--
Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com @charlesnw on twitter

http://blog.knownelement.com

Building alternative,global scale,secure, cost effective bit moving platform
for tomorrows alternate default free zone.