Disappointing ARIN - A great advertisement for the USA ?

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Fri Sep 16 16:11:24 UTC 2011

> Saying NANOG = ARIN is like saying Middle East = Terrorist.  That kind
> of generalization is never useful.  ARIN is one of many non-Government
> organizations that make decisions regarding the Internet.
>
> As for your reference to "Obama-style" I'm not sure if you're trying
> to pay homage to, or insult the POTUS, either way it's not piratically
> constructive to the conversation; especially on a technical mailing
> list.  Please check politics at the door.

qed, eh?

yes, the op conflated a bunch of crap with the valid technical problem
s/he raised.  but can the rest of us please try to stick to technalia?

> As mentioned by several others, if you have a problem with changes
> made by ARIN, an independent non-profit corporation, then it seems
> logical to contact them and not a community of network operators who
> have little or no control over ARIN.

arin says they serve the community.  this change affects the community,
they broke my fingers and a few scripts.  for others, such as suresh,
they broke a *lot* of software.

and discussing it here seems to be having useful effect, thanks john.

randy