Disappointing ARIN - A great advertisement for the USA ?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 05:04:50 UTC 2011

I hate to beat/stab a dead horsey, but I found this by happenstance:

<https://www.arin.net/resources/whoisrws/whois_diff.html>

which describes some of the differences between RWS output and
traditional output.

For the scripty-minded folks out there:
$ wget -O - -q http://whois.arin.net/rest/ip/128.2.35.50.txt
NetRange:       128.2.0.0 - 128.2.255.255
CIDR:           128.2.0.0/16
OriginAS:       AS9
NetName:        CMU-NET
NetHandle:      NET-128-2-0-0-1
Parent:         NET-128-0-0-0-0
NetType:        Direct Assignment
RegDate:        1984-04-17
Updated:        2010-05-03
Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-128-2-0-0-1

I reckon that for a simple script replacement of: "whois ip"

the above would get you buy fairly neatly (you could account for the
differences between old/new formats with the link above as well, if so
inclined).

-chris