routing issue for verizon dsl customers in western massachusetts

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 19:39:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Brian Gold <bgold at simons-rock.edu> wrote:
> Hello all, I posted this to the tech at lopsa mailing list and was advised to
> repost it here. If anyone can help, I would be very happy to avoid having to
> deal with hours more of Verizon level 1 tech support.
>

> Over the past week, we've discovered that there is an issue with the way
> some Verizon DSL customers are being routed in Western Massachusetts that is
> preventing them from reaching my employers public IPs. The problem is only
> limited to Verizon DSL customers, everyone else can reach these IP addresses
> just fine. After many hours on the phone with Verizon tech support, I
> finally managed to get myself and one of my coworker's home dsl connections
> switched from a "redback router" to a "juniper router" which resolved the
> issue, but only for us. I was told that everyone else in the area that is
> being affected by the issue have to individually call Verizon tech support,
> go through the same multi-hour troubleshooting steps, and if the technician
> is bright enough to recognize what is going on, get their issue escalated up
> to the central office where (in 2-4 business days) they will be switched
> over to the juniper router. Obviously, this is not the ideal solution. I'd

actually it's not a bad solution.. if verizon is looking to lose lots
of money on tech support calls... :)

> really like to make the higher ups at Verizon aware of this issue and come

If you buy verizon services at your day job you can probably make
noise through your sales droids better than here (sadly)... verizon
likes to jump when customers have problems, if the customer is a large
corporation or other 'important' customer.