vyatta for bgp

Alain Hebert ahebert at pubnix.net
Tue Sep 13 10:36:51 UTC 2011

      Hi,

     In the past, I helped a few small ISP (sub 1Gbps) with software
routers setup like Vyatta (Well FreeBSD/64 + Quagga really).

     Until recently the hardware required to run over 500Mbps + could be
as pricey as a pair recycle Cisco 7206VXR since most MBs where coming
with only 1 PCI busses which could kills the BW+PPS depending on the
amount of interfaces you use.

     Now-a-days MBs with more than 1 PCI bus have become cheaper and
shouldn't be a problem.

Its all in the setup anyway:

     2 servers ($3k each with 4 interface).
     Split your uplink on each router.
     1 link for "client-reflector" | OSPF | <whatever you like> between
the router.
     VRRP back-end.

     PS: Sub 10Gbps, any DDoS will kill the link before killing those
routers, but there is solutions to this which is hella-easy to deal with
in this situation.

-----
Alain Hebert                                ahebert at pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770     Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911  http://www.pubnix.net    Fax: 514-990-9443