vyatta for bgp

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Mon Sep 12 20:52:54 UTC 2011

On Sep 13, 2011, at 3:43 AM, Everton Marques wrote:

> Would Cisco ISR G2 3925E classify as software-based router?

Yes.

> Do you expect it to bend itself down under a few Mbps of 64-byte packets?

Especially if they're directed at the router itself, at some point, sure - though the ISR2 certainly has more horsepower than the original ISRs, and I've personally yet to witness an ISR2 being DDoSed, so I've no feel for the specific numbers.  Features also play a role.

This isn't to say that the ISR2 isn't a fine router - but rather that one must be cognizant of performance envelopes prior to deployment in order to determine suitability to purpose.  One can't reasonably expect vendors to exceed their design constraints in any type of equipment.

;>

One can and should test the specific performance envelope of any prospective infrastructure purchase, of course.

		The basis of optimism is sheer terror.

			  -- Oscar Wilde