Disappointing ARIN - A great advertisement for the USA ?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Sep 12 17:22:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> my guess is that ARIN is hoping folks turn to the actual RESTful
> interface for many scripted purposes...I keep expecting to see some
> example python/perl/etc off:
>
> <https://www.arin.net/resources/whoisrws/index.html>

  Should I change my code to parse the RESTful Interface instead of the
  NICNAME/WHOIS TCP port 43 service?

  Absolutely. We encourage use of the new RESTful service for the purposes
  of programmatic consumption. ARIN plans to make more features available
  on the RESTful interface. The NICNAME/WHOIS service will remain accessible,
  but it may not support the enhanced features we intend to incorporate
  within Whois-RWS.

It'd be nice if the NICNAME/WHOIS was left alone as far as default
behavior is concerned.

So, our tools that use the NICNAME/WHOIS service for lookups at all the
other RIRs, now need to be updated to support ARIN's overcomplicated
web/XML, which nobody else uses?...and it seems even with RWS you still
need to do multiple queries to go from having an IP to having the full
whois record.

How does the community (other than some programmers) benefit from this?

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |