Disappointing ARIN - A great advertisement for the USA ?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 16:58:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Eric Krichbaum wrote:
>
>> That was on June 25th according to Mark Kosters.  They started to answer
>> with both the parent and delegated objects.  That hosed the way RWHOIS
>> data
>> was being reported to most things as the client won't know which to send
>> through to the rwhois servers.  Still works from an old SCO box but not
>> from
>> anything current.
>>
>> A "+" flag on the query from some clients will get it to recurse, but for
>> my
>> tests kicked back "%error 350 Invalid Query Syntax".
>
> Prepending the query with a + "works" for me, in that I get the expected
> data, but there's additional unexpeced data (full record for the Parent,
> even if the Parent is just an ARIN /8) in the output that will probably
> still cause problems for scripts.

my guess is that ARIN is hoping folks turn to the actual RESTful
interface for many scripted purposes...I keep expecting to see some
example python/perl/etc off:

<https://www.arin.net/resources/whoisrws/index.html>

but at least the api is documented, it ought to be fairly
straightforward to make a simple whois client.
(that could be extended to be used in whatever scripty thing you were
using before)
-chris