Microsoft deems all DigiNotar certificates untrustworthy, releases updates

Heinrich Strauss heinrich at hstrauss.co.za
Sat Sep 10 08:47:02 UTC 2011

On 2011/09/10 05:06, Michael DeMan wrote:
> Sorry for being ignorant here - I have not even been aware that it is possible to buy a '*.*.com' domain at all.
>
> I though wildcards were limited to having a domain off a TLD - like '*.mydomain.tld'.

Given a private network and the need to monitor it in a private
company[1], we generated a certificate like this for internal use signed
by a company-internal trusted certificate authority.

Also, given the Subject Alternative Name extension, it is quite possible
to generate a "godmode" certificate for gracefully redirecting proxied
HTTPS requests to an "Access Denied" page or even
nefarious-purpose-logging machine.

-H.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawful_interception