NAT444 or ?

Leigh Porter leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com
Thu Sep 8 08:52:56 UTC 2011

I have a concern about some weird and wonderful VPN solutions that people may be using. I am quite sure that some of them will just not work through NAT444, though I have no evidence of this. People have problems with some VPN solutions with single NAT (especially with no ALGs). NAT444 will just be a mess.

> The striking thing I picked up is that NTT considers the CGN equipment
> a big black hole where money goes into. Because it won't solve their
> problem now or in the future and it becomes effectively a piece of
> equipment they need to buy and then scrap "soon" after.

Well if you buy the 'right' solution then you can re-use it elsewhere. Many solutions use multi-purpose processing cards to deliver NAT functionality which can be used for other stuff such as firewalling or some other manor of traffic mangling.

> They acknowledge the need, but they'd rather not buy one.
> That and they (the isp) get called for anything which doesn't work.

Well at least these little problems that pop up keep people in jobs ;-) If everything just worked (tm) there would be nothing to do..

--
Leigh