Do Not Complicate Routing Security with Voodoo Economics

Neil J. McRae neil at domino.org
Sun Sep 4 21:39:43 UTC 2011

On 4 Sep 2011, at 21:17, "Sharon Goldberg" <goldbe at cs.bu.edu>  wrote:

thanks for responding you paper is interesting,

> Thus, while we cannot hope to accurately model every aspect of
> interdomain routing, nor predict how S*BGP deployment will proceed in
> practice, we believe that ISP competition over customer traffic is a
> significant economic lever for driving global S*BGP deployment.

 If you cannot accurately model every aspect of interdomain routing - why is that? :)

Then how can you be sure that a single stock in this model can be so influential? "significant" I think one could almost argue the opposite also or make the same case about nearly any feature in a transit product! If i stop offering community based filtering- I'd probably see revenue decline!

Yes some features in a product set drive revenue - thats all you are really saying which is fine but we have alot of features people want in the network and what would be a more useful paper would be why this one might drive more revenue growth than the others that are all fighting development prioritisation - - - which isnt clear to me in your paper.

All this paper does is confuse (mislead?) people that SBGP might have a big pot of gold attached which is doubtful in my view (interdomain routing is very complex) and the point Randy made.

Neil