Do Not Complicate Routing Security with Voodoo Economics

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Sep 4 17:56:31 UTC 2011

> As one of the co-chairs of this working group, I'd like to chime in to
> clarify the purpose of this group.  Our goal is to assemble a group of
> vendors and operators (not "publish or perish" academics) to discuss and
> recommend effective strategies for incremental deployment of security
> solutions for BGP (e.g., such as the ongoing RPKI and BGP-SEC work).  It
> is not to design new security protocols or to "write policy and
> procedures for operators"

    This Working Group will recommend the framework for an industry
    agreement regarding the adoption of secure routing procedures and
    protocols based on existing work in industry and research. The
    framework will include specific technical procedures and protocols. The
    framework will be proposed in a way suitable for opt-in by large
    Internet Service Providers...

randy