Outgoing SMTP Servers

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Oct 30 21:53:10 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Dave CROCKER <dcrocker at bbiw.net> wrote:
> Your misunderstanding of physical pollution pollutes your understanding of
> spam.  But it turns out that you seem to misunderstand spam quite a bit,
> independently.

Okay wise guy. Let's take another look at your version of email spam
as pollution.

Put some gangbangers in a truck and drive them down the street. These
are our allegorical spammers. As the truck rolls they fire thousands
of rounds, clip after clip, from Uzis aimed at every glass window that
they see.

Clearly I am mistaken to describe these gangbangers as mass murdering
criminals. When I say that they and the folks who aided and abetted
their spree should be locked away, I display my ignorance as to the
nature of gangs.

No, this is all really a matter of lead pollution: People taking too
much advantage of the fact that it's generally OK to drive on the
road, or throw objects through the air, a real tragedy of those
commons. It's not like we can jail everybody who decides to shoot up a
house. So, instead of hiring sheriffs whose our ire will land on folks
who willfully or negligently shielded the gangbangers from detection
and pursuit, we should forgive the complicit and restrict our efforts
to bulletproof glass and generally reducing the rain of bullets to a
more survivable level.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004