Outgoing SMTP Servers

Brian Johnson bjohnson at drtel.com
Thu Oct 27 18:24:22 UTC 2011

OK.

>You, and your organization, need them far more than they need you.

Argumentative and unnecessary.

>_How_ you pro-actively ensure spam does not exit from your network IS your
>business.
>
>That you *do* do so _is_ within the action purveiw of the 'rest of the world'.

Judge me as you will. My customers will determine if I change this policy. Their judgment is all that matters in this circumstance as the external Internet community has the access that the Internet community needs relative to this instance.

>"Doing so" requires that you _actively_ monitor the behavior of your
>customers
>and have 'ways and means' in place to (a) detect, and (b) _stop_ immediately
>upon detection, such abusive behavior by your customers.
>
>One of the 'easiest', and most _cost-effective_ ways of doing so *is* to
>force all outgoing mail from your customers through a 'choke point' for
>examination/filtering/blckcing.
>
>The simplest way of doing that, *without* running afoul of 'wiretapping'
>statutes. is to require, by policy and by blocking direct external access,
>that customer out-bound email traffic go through your servers, and doing
>the necessary 'inspection' there.

I think you support my position, but I could be convinced otherwise. :)

Be careful with you punctuation. I got lost a few times there :)

- Brian