XSServer / Taking down a spam friendly provider

Chris caldcv at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 14:12:33 UTC 2011

Hello

I run a few Wordpress sites here and there, but I'm amazed at the
amount of spam that comes from xsserver.eu's clients. Their abuse
department is non-responsive: they do not even have auto responders to
emails and the offending IP addresses keep spamming weeks after my
email.

I have CC'd my abuse complaints to Hurricane Electric, with no luck
either, so I'm stuck

Before somebody screams the path of least resistance of "just install
Akismet or (insert spam plugin here)", that type of thinking just
makes spam even worse because we just keep large, possibly stale,
databases of IP addresses that may or may not be active spammers and
does not address the issue.

Does anyone have any recommendations of where to go next because I'm
just limited to doing a whois on the IP address, emailing the abuse
contact and tracerouting.

Examples of the offending IPs are:
109.230.216.225
109.230.220.34
109.230.217.166
109.230.220.95

A prime offender is hellomotow.net, who provides "SEO" services with
automated spamming tools. hellomotow.net has spammed me in the past
from IP addresses like this so I believe XSServer is becoming the new
McColo / AlphaRed / ThePlanet (back in the day, their abuse dept is
very responsive now)

I'm not asking for you to do the footwork for me, unless you want, but
just needed some advice from folks more knowledgeable than myself.

--
--C

"The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to
be when you kill them." - Sir William Clayton