Outgoing SMTP Servers

David E. Smith dave at mvn.net
Tue Oct 25 16:05:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 10:57, Dennis Burgess <dmburgess at linktechs.net>wrote:

> [dmb] This is the exact question, why, do you NEED a SMTP Relay on ANY
> network.  Your domain has a mail server out on the net that if you
> authenticate to, I am sure will relay your mail, and the reverse DNS and SPF
> records would match then as well.  Why does the local internet provide NEED
> to relay though their server, regardless of the port.

Not every domain actually has a mail server that allows remote
authentication/relay. People hosting small vanity domains with cheap hosting
providers might not. Maybe people using small ISPs with less-than-top-notch
staff. Heck, maybe there's just a short-term issue with the mail server, and
you still want/need to send something out right now, so you use your ISP's
mail system.

David Smith
MVN.net