Facebook insecure by design

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Mon Oct 24 14:54:40 UTC 2011

> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 21:45:33 -0700
> Subject: Re: Facebook insecure by design
> Cc: nanog at nanog.org
>
> The way I look at it, unless you want to host everything yourself, you have
> to choose "someone" to be your Unix like home directory in the cloud.

Correct.  Either it's 'local', or it's "somewhere else" -- by definition. :)

> Of all the internet entities out there, Google has had the best track record
> of protecting your data.

As far as we know, that is.

Remember the old saying about 'undiscovered bugs'. <wry grin>

>                          You can even download it all and erase yourself if
> you want out.

Don't count on it.  You may 'disappear' from public view, but that does
not necessarily mean the data is truely 'gone'.  Specific example -- if you
request a USENET posting to be removed, all they do is make it 'invisible'
to the world.  It is _not_ removed from the databases, or from inernal
access/use.