Did Internap lose all clue?

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Oct 21 00:39:51 UTC 2011

On 10/20/2011 4:03 PM, Ryan Rawdon wrote:
> "You should expect<our prefix>.1 to respond to ping and such, but not 2<our prefix>.0 as that is only capable of representing a subnet and not a network interface of any kind, or any machine, at all"

Honestly, though. Can you blame them in this case? Given the lack of
insight into your network, I also might question your numbering system
(given the number of people who use .0 and .255 in /24 Ethernet
segments). Although, there are still perfectly good reasons never to use
.0 or .255 in production networks, even if it does work most of the time.

I just finished griping at some vendors for using .0/31 on the first ptp
link. Sure, it works, it might always work, but I'll be mighty pissed
when I have to renumber core interfaces because some stupid software
program freaks about it. I can live with 126 ptp links per /24 in 1918
space of all things.

Jack