Did Internap lose all clue?

bas kilobit at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 20:48:34 UTC 2011

Recently I was contacted by an Internap sales person.
The third line of the email read:

"As you know well, BGP makes all routing decisions simply based on HOP COUNT"

I blinked my eyes a couple of times.. Yes it really said hop count.
Then I replied to the guy that if he tries to sell a technical product
to technical people he should get his info straight.

But he replied BGP actually makes decisions based on hop count.
He even sent an URL from the internap website that states this
http://www.internap.com/it-iq/route-optimization-miro/

On that page there is also this gem:
"BGP relies on the premise that hops are responsible for packet loss
and congestion, and therefore a route with fewer hops is inherently
better. "

I can imagine blatant misinformation like this from a shady startup
trying to trick some sales with smoke and mirrors, but from Internap?

-- Bas