BGP Peers as basis of available routes

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Wed Oct 19 18:54:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 01:20:42PM -0500, Jack Bates wrote:
> On 10/19/2011 12:48 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:
> >
> >On Oct 19, 2011, at 3:00 AM, Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
> >
> >>Dont mix up peering and transit connections!
> >
> >I've nearly given up on this.  I've heard many a small provider say they
> >are "Peering" with level3 when they mean "we are buying transit from
> >Level3".
> >
> >Many people equate having BGP up with them to mean something else.
>
> And yet I might pay for transit from Sprint, but decide to limit routes
> to just between us (which is peering, but technically I'm paying for
> transit).
>
> Terminology has always been a blast.
>

> Jack

	actually, its pretty clear.

	peer - exchange routes with a neighbor (BGP/OSPF/ISIS/EGP/Static).
	transit - your neighbor agrees to send your routes to -their- neighbors.

	peering you can control, transit is controlled by a third party.

so Jack, you could pay Sprint for transit (they propogte your routes elsewhere) and
then insist on no-export for the routes you give them..  -IF- Sprint honours your
no-export, then your just peering, regardless of what you are paying for.

/bill