The Cidr Report

William F. Maton Sotomayor wmaton at ottix.net
Sun Oct 16 14:06:10 UTC 2011

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011, Aftab Siddiqui wrote:

>>> success.
>>
>> what would help?
>
> I guess rpki would help and a banner during every NOG/RIR meeting showing
> top polluters.

A similar thing was done at a USENIX in Monterey over a decade ago.  The
point behind that one was to drive home how bad it was for the attendees
to use telnet to their boxes at the mothership.  Nothing like seeing
people watch their passwords put up on two screens to teach them about
SSH.

Granted, placing the CIDR report up on a screen may not have the same
effect, but as NANOGs get video recorded, it's a lot harder to explain
in the future why you were on that list.  Somehow the visual is more
powerful than pretending an erased email doesn't make it into a web
archive.

> I seriously don't understand that why an RIR can't send atleast a notice to
> those announcing bogus prefixes. A letter in RED mailed to the business
> address would help.

May be a useful angle for the RIRs to pursue - but are RIRs in the routing
police business?

wfms