[outages] News item: Blackberry services down worldwide

Martin Millnert millnert at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 18:48:01 UTC 2011

Jared,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:
> Rebuilding this trust can take some time.  I do expect that with the iMessage stuff that was released yesterday (SMS/MMSoIP to email/phone#) many more companies will shift to using that instead as the value of BBM is decreased.

With iMessage, Apple is following the lead of multi-platform apps such
as Viber (integrated voice over ip) and whatsapp (integrated "rich"
texting over ip). Integrated meaning the unique name/key registered in
the system's name lookup service is your phone number, so you
automagically discover who of all your address book entries have the
application.  Turning on whatsapp on my 360 contact address book
yielded me 10% of my contact list *online* using it. :)

Not being multi-vendor/platform, I wonder if iMessage on iPhone is
going to reach similar uptake.  Being installed from start certainly
helps though, but not piggy backing on the phone numbers is a clear
strategic error in my opinion (apple IDs are obviously a long long way
from being as universal as phone numbers).

I tried out whatsapp yesterday on an old Symbian S60 Nokia (N97) and
it works great.  Only thing I regret is not trying it out sooner.

Now, if mobile devices only had ... globally unique and *reachable* IP
addresses, you could even envision sending messages/pictures/video
directly from your own device to a peer, with no need for bouncing
through overloaded centralized bottlenecks, such as is the case with
whatsapp (and certainly iMessage as well).

There's certainly a business case in there for a legacy-free,
bandwidth-optimized, IP only, LTE-network... (read: no [stupid]
tunnels)

> I also wonder what the impact of iMessage and others will be on places like hotel networks as the devices camp out longer/more often on the wifi, etc.  We observed the impact to a hotel of the NANOG crowd this week (i wonder if there will be lessons learned on the part of lodgenet, etc?)
>
> I know personally I've observed the attwifi ssid expanding to more places (including hilton branded properties) in the past 6 months to offload cellular data.

Offloading is wise, indeed.

Cheers,
Martin