[outages] News item: Blackberry services down worldwide

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu Oct 13 23:26:03 UTC 2011

On 10/13/11 3:30 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> In fact, Skype, just as a for instance, is worse on hotel wifi as
> launching the app on a laptop makes you a middle node for some
> conversations.

Per the Skype IT administrator guide, a Skype node will not become a
supernode unless it has a public IP address and meets the memory,
bandwidth, and uptime requirements. It will not become a relay node
unless it has a public IP address and is directly reachable from the
Internet.

It is very unlikely that launching the Skype app on a laptop on hotel
wi-fi would meet these requirements.
> Does Skype on $HANDHELD have the same property?
Not as far as I know, for the obvious reason that handheld devices have
network connections that are suboptimal for this.

Matthew Kaufman