[outages] News item: Blackberry services down worldwide

Blake T. Pfankuch blake at pfankuch.me
Thu Oct 13 13:07:54 UTC 2011

Agreed.  Had a customer during the timeframe of this week ditch 90 blackberries for iPhone/android devices.  He actually sent me a video after BES finished uninstalling and he shut the server down "so help me I'm never getting another one of these damn coasters."  One user said when they got the phone "where is the silly wheelie clicky thing."  IT manager said "oh no you just touch the screen."

I'm told it was like watching an 8 year old with a box of fireworks and matches....

For those who complain about security on windows mobile, iPhone or android... you can do l2tp vpn and then ActiveSync on top of that over https.  Mobile device policies in Exchange for user experience control.  Overall much easier than Blackberry, not dependent on someone else's equipment for things like mail delivery and internet browsing, and one less server to care about.