[outages] News item: Blackberry services down worldwide

Jamie Bowden jamie at photon.com
Thu Oct 13 11:36:11 UTC 2011

You are correct.  The BES uses PSKs to talk to RIM's servers, which then
uses them to talk to the devices over the carrier networks.  All of this
was in complete failure mode until sometime overnight when it appears to
have all started flowing again.  Someday either Google or Apple will get
off their rear ends and roll out an end to end encrypted service that
plugs into corporate email/calendar/workgroup services and we can all
gladly toss these horrid little devices in the recycle bins where they
belong.

Jamie