meeting network

Matt Ryanczak ryanczak at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 15:28:03 UTC 2011

On 10/10/11 10:20 AM, Randy Carpenter wrote:
> I would think that the contract with the hotel for the conference would include the specific requirements for the network. Is that not the case?

My experiences planning and operating ARIN meeting networks taught me
that it is difficult if not impossible to get a hotel make any changes
to in room based wireless or wired networking. Often times they have
contracts with third parties and don't actually have any control over
how the network operates or issues such as capacity. This can also
include an inability to disable access points or otherwise limit the
ability of the contracted service provider to provide access to rooms.

In room access is always something that we looked at when judging
potential venues but the poor state of most in room Internet access
infrastructure and the realities of existing business relationships made
this a nice to have rather than a hard requirement.