meeting network

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 10 14:52:17 UTC 2011

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, Randy Bush wrote:

>> is the complaint the hotel ROOM wireless? or the meeting-room?
>
> meeting net, a-secure and a.  really bad during the night, but still
> bouncing up until 08:30 when i turned laptop off to participate in
> breakfast.
>
> and conjecturbation as to what the problem was is amusing at best.  i
> asked for actual diagnosis from whover is running the net.

I am noticing far worse performance and reliability with IPv6 as opposed
to IPv4.  For a good 10 minutes until just now there was *no* IPv6 routing
even to the first hop, but IPv4 was still "working."  Now things are
merely slow, not broken.

I also got bounced a few times from -secure and -a and when I got back I
couldn't get an address (IPv4 or IPv6) for some time.

Conjecturbation: They're using an old proteon router and someone is
exhausting its arp and ndp caches.

michael