Config files?

David Swafford david at davidswafford.com
Sat Oct 8 11:56:26 UTC 2011

Hey Tim,

We recently bought the NCM tool by SolarWinds as well.  We've had it
for two months, and I personally am quite happy with it.  We had
Cisco's CiscoWorks product for the last 5-6 years but ditched it
because of it never quite works consistently.   The thing to be aware
of for config auditing, like with NCM's reports, is that in some
environments config is ALWAYS changing.   I'm in a small enterprise
setup with a very dynamic datacenter and it is not abnormal to have a
few hundred changes across a week with the number of server
moves/rebuilds/expansions going on in our place.  So in our case, we
are primarily using NCM for pushing configs, and using the alerting of
changes mostly to do spot checks on the fellow team-members.  Since
there are so many changes, it is nice to have visibility to make sure
that appropriate standards are being met.

David.