DPI deployment use case

PC paul4004 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 16:44:45 UTC 2011

I've seen these used for two purposes over the years:

1) Repressive nation states.

2) ISPs/Universities who want to "shape" their bandwidth to prevent certain
traffic types from consuming everything.

3) Integrated with enhanced caching solutions to serve content locally and
save bandwidth (Web cache).

Use case #2 is becoming less and less common ISP industry wide.  More and
more consumptive activities are switching away from quasi-legitimate
"throttle it and see if anyone complains" type activities
(bittorrent/Peer2Peer), and more and more towards legitiamte, high
consumption, HTTP based traffic, where subscribers would have a fit.  Net
neutrality rules in some countries are limiting this behavior further (such
as Skype blocking).  Furthermore, industry wide pay-as-you-use and unlimited
access with bandwidth caps is becoming more prevalent among wired and
wireless SPs.

Your use case is not beyond the possibility of full DPI, but a transparent
proxy box of some nature would be sufficient for most of that.  Usage limits
on the other hand is often easier done via your AAA accounting/radius
solution, including policing/shaping/cutting users off/billing for overages.

Ohh, and these boxes often make pretty pictures, graphs, and reports.