F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET moved to Beijing?

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Mon Oct 3 17:39:17 UTC 2011

On Oct 3, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> Given that in the ISC case the hostname.bind query can tell you at
> least the region + instance#, it seems plausible that some system of
> systems could track current/changes in the mappings, no? and either
> auto-action some 'fix' (SHUT DOWN THE IAD INSTANCE IT's ROGUE!) or at
> least log and notify a hi-priority operations fixer.

That sort of capability at the application layer certainly seems
prudent to me, noting that it does assume you have a measurement
node within the catchment in question and are measuring at a high
enough frequency to detect objective incidents.

> Given something like the unique-as work Verisign has been behind you'd
> think monitoring route origins and logging 'interesting' changes could
> accomplish this as well?

I'm a fan of both routing system && consumer-esque monitoring, and
do believe that a discriminator in the routing system associated with
globally anycasted prefixes makes this simpler - for both detection,
and possibly even reactive or preventative controls IF necessary.  A
unique origin AS is not the only place you can do this in the routing
system, as I'm sure some will observe, but it seems an ideal location
to me.

-danny