F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET moved to Beijing?

Todd Underwood toddunder at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 21:30:37 UTC 2011

leo, all,

in the past, name servers that operated inside of china were subject
to arbitrary rewriting or blocking of their results by the Great
Firewall.

this is obviously bad for Chinese citizens but it's *dramatically*
worse for people outside of china who end up reaching a root server in
china by mistake, no?  people who ostensibly live free of this kind of
interference and censorship are now subject to it by mistake.

a previous time this happened renesys did a good write up on it.

http://www.renesys.com/blog/2010/06/two-strikes-i-root.shtml

i guess my questions now are:

1) how long was this happening?
2) can any root server operator who serves data inside of china verify
that the data that they serve have not been rewritten by the great
firewall?
3) does ISC (or <Insert Root Operator Here>) have a plan for
monitoring route distribution to ensure that this doesn't happen again
(without prompt detection and mitigation)?

i'm not really singling out ISC here--this is a serious problem for
anyone who chooses to operate a root server node on untrustworthy or
malicious network infrastructure (which is one appropriate way of
thinking of a rewriting firewall from the perspective of a root server
operator).

cheers,