Facebook insecure by design

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 16:36:20 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure why lack of TLS is considered to be problem with Facebook.
> The man in the middle is the other side of the connection, tls or otherwise.

That's where the X509 certificate comes in.   A man in the middle
would not have the proper private key to impersonate the Facebook
server that the certificate was issued to.

Supporting TLS in their case is not good enough...  they would need to
force all connections to be over TLS, to achieve security against
MITM.

As soon as an app causes the end user to switch to a non-TLS
connection,  they are vulnerable.

--
-JH