facebook spying on us?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Oct 2 05:16:34 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Barry Jones" <BEJones at semprautilities.com>

> I can't tell you the kind of servers, but I can say that I was
> recently in Prineville, OR, where FB is building a data center (and a
> second data center). I was used to the ol data centers - you know,
> where there's raised floors, cabinets, cool air, a guard and a few
> guys around with some screens?

Data Center Knowledge posted about 20 minutes of very poorly shot video
of Prineville.  They're Open Compute servers in 'triplet' racks.

> But this was massive. I was amazed at the size - a few city blocks
> long and a city block wide, with a transformer and power line the size
> of a small city. I wonder if the Feds were involved.

Their power supply (also open) runs across 2 legs of a 277/480 3-phase feed,
which is usually what the substation supplies to your PDUs, which step it
down further to 120/208.  It also takes -48, and each pair of triplets has
a 48V float string that will run the 180 servers for about 45 seconds.

It's a nice setup.  I plan to steal it.  :-)

(The substation input voltage is very often 13k2 to 13k8, though it can be
even higher.)

Cheers,
-- jra