IPv6 prefixes longer then /64: are they possible in DOCSIS networks?

Mark Blackman mark at exonetric.com
Wed Nov 30 21:18:38 UTC 2011

On 30 Nov 2011, at 21:10, Ray Soucy wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> I do believe that there is no benefit to longer prefixes than /64.
>> Nobody has provided any convincing evidence to the contrary.
>>
>> There are better ways to mitigate ND than longer prefixes.
>
> Agree to disagree, I guess.

To be honest, I can't work out the point of preferring a /64 in the first place if
you're not using SLAAC and I'm not sure why SLAAC wanted more than 48
bits.

If you use broad ACLs to lock down to a /126 or /112 equivalent, why bother with
the /64 in the first place?

However, I'm new to the IPv6 business, so I'm sure I'll work it out eventually.

- Mark