Recent DNS attacks from China?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Nov 30 18:42:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:24:21 PST, "andrew.wallace" said:
> Before we see knee-jerk conclusions about who to blame, these attacks could
> be carried out by anyone.  Is country even relevant in the cyberscape?

Reading comprehension, Andrew. Leland never said the Chinese were behind it,
he never even said the packets came from China.  He said the packet origins
were from Chinese IP addresses.

And yes, country *is* relevant in the cyberscape.  For starters, it defines how
much cooperation you'll get in tracking, arresting, and prosecuting the
offenders. The US has had a lot more success in apprehending Gary McKinnon than
the perpetrators of Titan Rain. It's almost certainly due to the fact that
McKinnon was in Glasgow and the Titan Rain people weren't.