ATT GigE issue on 11/19 in Kansas City

Brad Fleming bdflemin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 17:37:18 UTC 2011

On Nov 30, 2011, at 9:51 AM, Blake Hudson wrote:

> Stefan wrote the following on 11/30/2011 8:53 AM:

>>> We lost several (but not all) of our Optiman circuits on 11/19 at about 10:20am. We were told the root issue was that all VLANs in one of their switches had been accidentally deleted / removed. We were never able to get any additional detail (like "how") but services were restored about 16:45.
>> +1 to the above - we received the following RFO, from the their NOC:
>>
>> "All impacted VLANS were rebuilt to restore service. It is believed
>> there were some configuration changes that caused the VLAN troubles. A
>> case has been opened with Cisco to further investigate the root
>> cause."
>>

> Sounds like a VTP mishap.

That was my first thought as well.. it would just surprise me if a huge provider like AT&T was using VTP instead of using a provisioning tool that automates the manual pruning process to avoid issues like this. In either case I'm a customer and will likely never be told what went wrong. I'm OK with that so long as it doesn't happen again!