IPv6 prefixes longer then /64: are they possible in DOCSIS networks?

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 05:28:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2011, at 10:11 AM, Joel jaeggli wrote:
>> On 11/29/11 09:30 , Owen DeLong wrote:
>>> I believe those have been obsoleted, but, /64 remains the best choice, IMHO.
>> operational practice has moved on.
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6164
> RFC 6164 does not say anything bad about using /64.
> Owen

RFC 6164 does not define operational practice  or a recommended way of
designing your network or configuring your router(s).

All  RFC 6164  says is essentially  that some networks do want to use
longer than
64-bit prefixes and there are some valid reasons,  explains what
motivates some operators to do so,
and adds recommendations that routers must allow assignment of /127
prefixes on P-t-P
inter-router links and disable subnet-router anycast when in use.

In other words...  if you are implementing an IPv6 router,  RFC 6164
will assist you by giving
you technical recommendations that you implement the capability for
/127 prefixes on your
router,   with  motiviations listed that will help you decide whether
to include support for
/127  inter-router links  or not.

--
-JH