Water Utility SCADA 'Attack': The, um, washout

Kyle Creyts kyle.creyts at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 16:36:04 UTC 2011

I would actually carry this to another level, and say this "leak" could be
considered evidence that the fusion centers are working quite well. The
fact is that a fusion center, in this case, enabled the community to:
 1)respond to an event (together);
 2)know where to contribute any coordinating information, now or in the
future;
 3)be on the lookout for similar events;
 4)raise awareness about a perceived problem that doesn't seem to be
getting better;
 5)perceive a measure of transparency in the operation and utility of these
fusion centers.

>From where I stand this disclosure being dubbed a "leak" is improper.
Perhaps it was a leak, perhaps it was an intentional disclosure. Either
way, it showed that fusion centers are working to escalate the attention
given to potentially serious issues, with a defined benefit to the
community they serve, while operating with an appropriate degree of
cooperation between TLAs. And while there was media FUD early on, the final
output was clear, concise, and non-speculative.

--
Kyle Creyts

Information Assurance Professional
BSidesDetroit Organizer