Looking for a Tier 1 ISP Mentor for career advice.

Jeff Richmond jeff.richmond at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 18:28:03 UTC 2011

All excellent advice, but let me point out something else. I manage a team of backbone engineers and still do quite a bit of engineering work myself. When I interview, I never get caught up on certs or degrees. Now, do I ignore them? No, of course not. They do mean something and I know I worked hard for my JNCIE, so they add value. However, what I want to see is someone that is energetic and has a drive to learn, but the most important piece of my interviews once I am confident they meet my technical needs is the personality evaluation. I know my team works crappy hours, gets pulled 100 different directions and just really have a tough job sometimes. What I can't have is a toxic person added to the mix, no matter how ridiculously smart or qualified they might be. So there have been times I have turned away more qualified candidates just because I was not comfortable with their attitude or vibe. Hiring and firing is extremely difficult to correct if you make the wrong choice, and I have learned a thing or two over the years in this regard.

That said, there is something else to consider too. In most large companies, the managers don't always have a lot of power when it comes to salaries and in some cases, even promotions. So, without specific experience and a salary history, you may be artificially held down due to HR policies no matter how well you do. I know that has happened a number of times at various places I have worked, and it is frustrating both for the candidate and the manager. There are many places where it is better to actually leave the company and come back to get around the HR constraints regarding salary augments from internal promotions. So, just be aware that even though you are working hard and going above and beyond, you might not always get initially rewarded for it. However, in time it will almost always correct itself, but even so, keeping a positive attitude and having a desire to learn will always benefit you in the end one way or another.

Of course, once you get to the point of being in the industry for a long time like most of us here, you'll look back and say what the heck was I thinking, I should have been an accountant. Heh :)

Best of luck,
-Jeff